While testing out an OSD task sequence, I was receiving error message “Task Sequence: [insert task name] has failed with the error code (0x80070490).” This particular error was hard to pinpoint a solution for because the smsts.log did not register any messages relating to this error.
However, the particular step this error was being triggered on was when attempting to apply an image. Right off the bat I knew something was wrong as my task sequence would first partition the disk and then apply the image. In other words, it was skipping the disk partition step.
After further inspection of the task sequence using the console, I noticed on the “Partition Disk 0” options, there was a condition specified to only run this step if the following Task Sequence Variable was met: “_SMSTSBootUEFI not equals “true”.
The particular laptop (Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon) I was running this on has a UEFI BIOS enabled. While I didn’t disable this condition because I didn’t know why it was put there in the first place, the solution was to disable UEFI and enable the “Legacy” BIOS in the laptop. Once I rebooted and tried again, the task sequence applied without any errors.